Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Monday, January 14, 2008

Bad Blogger

It seems that I've been a neglectful blogger of late. I'm not really sure how almost a month has passed since my last post. I haven't been insanely busy or anything. I guess I just haven't been living a very blog-worthy life of late.

It seems particularly sad that it's 2 weeks into the new year and I haven't blogged. Perhaps this is because I find New Year's to be a somewhat depressing holiday. All it does for me is mark the end of the holiday season and the beginning of a month that has very little going for it. Oh boy! Nothing to look forward to! All January is to me is an endless slog of more winter. At least with February, March is coming next, which means you can delude yourself about spring being just around the corner. In January, there is no delusion. Also, as has been the case for Kjerste, many of my New Year's Eves of yore have not been very inspiring. Furthermore, I refuse to make resolutions because I am convinced that they are only setups for disappointment. And I do hate to be disappointed, especially by myself. Maybe this is all really just a roundabout way of saying that I'm kind of cranky.

The high point of January so far has been our trip last week to San Francisco. Todd had to go for business (or "bidness" -- whichever you prefer) so I tagged along and got to see some friends, enjoy a wide expanse of non-icy sidewalks and relish not having to work very hard to find vegetarian food. Unfortunately for us, our flight there was first canceled and then delayed (due to mechanical problems and weather, respectively). And then on the way back, we sat on the runway for an hour while they fixed a problem with the landing gear. Which I'm glad they did, by the way. I just wished the mechanics had figured out that there was a problem before everyone got on the plane.

Frankly, I think having all of these "mechanical problems" seems a bit far-fetched. You know what I really think was going on? I think there were snakes on the plane and they just didn't want to tell us. I've never seen that movie, but I've decided that "snakes on a plane" is a good metaphor for all manner of air travel problems. I can see the conversations now:

"How was your flight?"

"Oh, you know. We got in late. Snakes on the plane."

Or:

"What is taking the flight attendants so long to bring out drinks?"

"There are probably snakes on the plane."

I think this metaphor works particularly well since half the time you don't really know what's going on with your flight anyway. So it might as well be snakes. At the very least, snakes would be more interesting than problems with a sensor on the landing gear.

And in the interest of adding to my litany of complaints, I'd also like to say that I got a cold immediately upon returning to Boston. Clearly, some of the snakes on the plane were germy little buggers.

Apparently, it's going to be a very good year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home