Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Apples

Whenever I feel like not much exciting is happening in my life (see my previous posting), I tend to find ways to entertain myself. Sometimes it's been through things like, say, dying my hair or making prank phone calls, but I don't do those things any more. So I need something bigger. And I've found it. I'm going to run a half-marathon. Note that I said HALF -- don't get too crazy.

It's the Applefest Half Marathon -- it takes place in New Hampshire in October (which translates into plenty of time to train). A couple of friends and I will do it together. Mainly, we're focusing on the fact that they give you apple crisp at the end, and we will use visualization of said apple crisp to get us up some fairly steep-sounding hills that occur at the end of the race. I will do anything for dessert, apparently. And that seems to fit with something strange about this race -- they have weight divisions. It sounds like they are optional, but I think it's a bit odd. For one, the weights aren't very high: Men above 190 are eligible for the "Clydesdale" division, and women above 140 are eligible for the "Fillies" division. Is this an attempt to make people feel bad for being a normal weight? Is this why the website only seems to show pictures of strikingly skinny people? Are they trying to conserve on apple crisp by making you feel so bad before the race that you feel too guilty to eat dessert afterwards? Because that's not going to work for me. I'm still eating my pie. And when the paramedics come to cart me away because I'm dying, I'm taking it with me in the ambulance. I will not be deprived.

I wrote an e-mail to the organizer of the Applefest hoping for an explanation about the weight divisions. I also wanted to make sure they are optional -- I am not getting on a scale on race day. Applefest guy assured me that the weight divisions are optional. And he noted that there is some kind of Clydesdale and Filly movement. Note their strangely patriotic website. Apparently, this movement was started by those who felt that race organizers discriminated against larger runners. The overall tone of the e-mail from the Applefest guy was one of irritation with the Clydesdales. I wonder if they are a thorn in someone's side? Maybe I'll luck out and there'll be some kind of throwdown at the half marathon that I'll get to watch. While I'm eating my pie, of course.

6 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

And you don't have to tell Diet Power about the apple crisp after you finish a race...it's just like your birthday: doesn't count. Figment of your imagination, really. Speaking of, has Diet Power come in handy at all? I have to say that I've been avoiding it like an ex-boyfriend in the high school hallway...don't...make...eye contact...

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No shame at all being Clydesdale class for men in a marathon. CDs are usually over 6' and a born with a line-backer frame-size, we know most of us will never keep pace in an endurance running sport with the 130 lbs 5'5" guys with legs making up 70% of their body even with optimal race conditioning (and some of that CD factor is being fat even for our frame). Some were built for fight/power, some were built for flight/speed. Lot's of sports have weight classes such as boxing, lifting, and wrestling. Our bodies have different optimal sports, and for big bodies its not marathons and triathlons, but its still fun.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

I've avoided DP too -- I think it's under something right now. I just can't bring myself to log every little thing, even though it sounds so good in theory.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

I don't see any shame in being a big, strong runner, either. I am beeg German girl, after all. I was just scared that there might be some kind of forced weigh-in.

9:57 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Strong is beautiful.

As we know.

Can you IMAGINE if there was a weigh-in. Well, I guess you did... *cringe*

If there's a throwdown, my money's on the Clydesdales/Fillys. For shizzle.

That's funny that there's a "movement," but I can understand because as my husband said, he's not built for speed; it's like apples and oranges. And it's nice to know how you're doing in your category.

And now this comment section is now essentially a public email string...

12:22 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

My money is with the C/Fs too. And if there is a throwdown, I'm taking pictures. As I eat my pie. Ooh! Maybe pie will be thrown as part of the fight!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home