Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Thursday, March 29, 2007

My Boring Life

It's official: My life is boring. Last week for my "spring break" I mostly just studied for licensure. I looked at flashcards until I was about ready to crawl out of my skin, all the while thinking "All work and no play makes Helga a dull girl." And you know what? It does. I obviously need to consider early retirement.

For instance, as a diversion last week, I would spy on the neighbors who live in the house behind us (this is not hard to do -- all I need to do is look out the kitchen window when I walk by). It's a couple (man/woman) who have recently had a baby. For the last several months, I've watched the mom go from a little pregnant to bursting at the seams. Then, last week, I heard the crying of a newborn while it rode in a sling as mom let the dog outside into the yard. For some reason, I found this very exciting. I feel strangely connected to these people to whom I've never spoken. I thought about sending a congratulatory card to this couple, but then remembered they don't know me and sending a card would out me as the neighborhood spy. If I were really the crazy old woman that I'm acting like, I would just march right over there and ask to hold the baby. As I did so, I would regale the couple with stories of my own experiences with babies, which would be limited to the many kittens I've raised. Instead, I'm just an old woman trapped in a younger woman's body. I'm a crazy cat lady with no cat cred. That's a shame. Early retirement beckons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

But, you have Todd! And you have crazy people who love you surely. Also - I love you, and the koala loves you. Baby shmaby. ;)

11:46 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Oh, Boca! Here we come...

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home