Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Sunday, October 07, 2007

On Finishing


Yesterday, Dr. Bombay and I ran the Applefest Half-Marathon. It was hot -- it must have been somewhere around 80 degrees when we began running at 10 AM. In spite of the heat and the hilly course (which was not nearly as frightening as the race website made it out to be), we did not ride on the loser van.

I daresay we even had fun. We developed a passing formation: When we passed another runner, we would go around opposite sides of the person and meet again in front of the person. It was very dramatic. We also sang and pranced a bit. And chit-chatted the whole way through, even when going up hills. Which may have been a bit annoying to the other runners, but it definitely made those 13.1 miles pass by a bit faster. I even yelled at a spectator. He had his head hanging out of his car window and he craned around to stare at some woman's ass as she ran by. So I yelled "Don't look at her ass!" That was early in the race, and I was feeling peppy.

We also had our very own entourage: Yeti, who was our handler, and Todd and Dr. Shoe, who were our support and cheerleading staff.

And now, as if completing a half-marathon wasn't enough excitement for one week, this Thursday I take my big licensing exam. Let's hope that my anxiety about doing well (enough) on this exam proves to be as unfounded as my anxiety about finishing the race. (Maybe I should wear my finisher's medal to the test!)

I think I have a massage in my near future.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I fear that if you wear your medal to the licensing exam you would be disqualified in the same rude way that an Ipod would have disqualified us from the half-marathon. After all, you might have the answers etched into the medal, the medal might actually be some sort of advanced communication device from which Dr. Bombay can transmit you information, or maybe it could interfere with the safety of other test takers (as an Ipod somehow would have done at the race).

I'll deny it if anyone asks, but I ran this morning with my finisher's medal under the shirt I got in the shwag bag from the race....

9:45 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

YAAAY! Good for you! My next race isn't until the Turkey Trott in November... I missed out on some good races this weekend because the parents were here.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the half-marathon and good luck on Thursday! I'll send you good vibes.

Beverly

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home