Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

Some people are able to get really excited about this "holiday." I'm not. At least not like I used to. As a child, I looked forward to the insane amounts of candy and a costume to which I had given entirely too much thought. In high school, I remember coming up with some clever costumes with the girlz -- Kjerste, surely you remember your Miss Kitty costume. In fact, I remember in high school, and later in college, Kjerste and I investing a whole lotta time and energy into making costumes. One year, Kjerste was a Beauty Pageant Miss 5th Runner Up and I was a black-and-white movie star, inspired by Pleasantville. My costume involved painting me with white paint (and wearing a black dress) -- later in the evening, I realized I was leaving paint skidmarks everywhere I went. Oops.

There is something I really like about the idea of being somebody else for a day. And to get to go to some kind of party while doing it is a plus. Of course, my very serious job really doesn't lend itself well to willy-nilly costuming -- nobody wants to walk in to see their therapist dressed as the grim reaper or a chicken, for instance. Well, some people probably do, and that's a whole other session. So this means I have to wait until I go home to get into my costume. As I have no formal costume, I think that I'll just call myself Pajama Girl. Or better yet: Pajama Girl Eating a Microwave Dinner while Watching a Re-run of Seinfeld. Now that's a party.

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

You better believe I remember the Miss Kitty outfit. I shudder to think of wearing such a thing now.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

I don't know if any of us would attempt the white leggings these days.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home