Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Monday, October 16, 2006

Blue Monday

I, along with the rest of the world, hate Mondays. Ever since I was a small child, I have had a hard time sleeping on Sunday nights, just out the anxiety of Monday bearing down on me. And sometimes I'm not really all that anxious. Like now, for instance, when I really like my job. Sometimes I just lay awake in bed, as I did last night, thinking of my to-do list, mulling things over from earlier in the day or week, or other random thoughts. No other night of the week is like this. But there is something about Monday that exerts a vice-like grip on me. I can feel it creeping up on me on Sunday, as I witness the final day of the too-short weekend slip away, and the promise of another long week settle in. It's then that I think about how much I need a real vacation or a hobby or just a 3-day weekend (whatever it is that seems needed at the moment) to make my life a little better.

I guess it doesn't help that the last 2 weekends have been 3-day weekends for me, first for Yom Kippur, and then for Columbus Day. Although I don't consider Columbus Day to be a real holiday (and I'd rather call it Indigenous People's Day, thank you very much), and I've never before gotten it off of school or work, I took it gladly. But those weekends are behind me now, and I have nothing but a long stretch of regular-length weeks before me. Weeks of getting up at 5 AM, which gets darker and darker, to run. (Which reminds me how much I'm looking forward to the end of Daylight Savings Time, so it'll be at least a little lighter when I get up). Which also means weeks of trying to get to bed by 9 and being completely exhausted by Friday. Weeks of making my lunch to take to work right after I make dinner. Yada, yada, yada. And it's not like I can even try to get out of bed at 5 AM on days like today, when I didn't even finally drift off to sleep (and to dreams of airplane crashes and passport mixups) until 1:30 AM or so.

Actually, when I think about it, what I really need is a personal chef, a personal trainer, and a job that doesn't start until noon --but still ends at 5 or 6 -- and that pays me really well (so I can pay the chef and trainer). I wonder where I can get me some of that.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

And if you get it...won't you tell me hoooowwww...

I, too, could not sleep last night. Since accepting that second contracting gig, I've become decidedly more anxious on Sunday nights. It sucks. Particularly since Monday is the day I drive to Oakland. GAH! Words cannot describe how much I hate Monday mornings when I'm up late and must get up early.

By the by, I now have Boston's weather on my My Yahoo page :-) So I will know when it starts snowing on you.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home