Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Vegetarian Hypocrite

It occurs to me that my last posting exposes my hypocrisy: Here I am, complaining about how I can't find the kind of tofu that I want, and then, in the same day, I go and try on coats made out of animal products. And I had such a hard time deciding on which coat I wanted -- wool or down? Sheep or geese? Yeah, I know it's not like I'm actually wearing a dead animal ("Wow, is that a scarf?" "No, just a goose neck."), but still. Of course, this all occurred to me as I was drifting off to sleep under my down comforter....

So there it is: I'm a vegetarian hypocrite. I'll comfort myself with the fact that nobody's perfect, and that it turns out that the wool coat I bought is too big and pretty itchy, so I'll have to exchange it. But what will I exchange it for? Down? More wool? Maybe something synthetic that is made out of a petroleum product? I can't answer this question. And that's because I'm a hypocrite.

1 Comments:

Blogger Opspin said...

Yeah, I think you summarized what a lot of would-be vegetarians are thinking. I found a girlfriend who's not a vegetarian and who never thought about becoming one (to my knowledge) except she doesn't want to eat horse-meat (I'm 72% vegetarian or flexitarian or whatever you want to call it, and I love horse-meat) but she thinks horsies are to sweet (ponies)

Anyway, it's been so long since I saw those awful documentaries about chickens that I've begun to eat chicken again (with a secretly dark conscious)

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home