Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Happy and the Sad

First, the happy: We found a place to live! We decided to take one of the places we saw on Thursday. It's huge, has hardwood floors throughout most of it, and has space for both a home office and a home gym. So I won't have to pay to go to the gym anymore. And it's really close to the train station. We will move in on Wednesday and we will finally be able to unload our car. Yay!

Of course, we won't have any furniture. Even when the movers come, we still won't have that much, since we sold so much of our stuff before leaving California. We know what this means: Furniture shopping. Ikea, here we come.

Now, the sad: Last night in Portland, Oregon, Sleater-Kinney gave their final concert before going on "indefinite hiatus." Indefinite hiatus? That sounds like "taking a break" from a long-term relationship, ladies. I know what that means! I've heard it all before! Don't go! You're my favorite band! Ever! When Todd and I heard that they were leaving us, we toyed with the idea of flying to Portland to see their last show. But then we realized that wouldn't work since we would have just gotten here and would need to find a place to live. And flying doesn't sound so fun right now, anyway. I had also applied for a job in Portland that I liked less than the one I got here. But I really love Portland. So much. In part, because Sleater-Kinney live there. And also because of the tree-hugging hippiness of it all. And it's so green and lush. But we didn't move there, and now Sleater-Kinney broke up. Maybe if we move there one day, they'll get back together. I miss them already.

Hmm. Maybe instead of leaving my heart in San Francisco, I left it in Portland. Maybe soon, it'll be in Boston. I am already starting to fall in love: Last night, as Todd and I walked around near the Common, along some of the Freedom Trail, along the waterfront, and ate at the Quincy Market (which I've discovered before and loved), I thought: I actually get to live here? I am pretty lucky, aren't I?

I wonder what I'll be saying in January.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! your new place sounds lovely.

~ beverly

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home