Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Friday, July 28, 2006

Good-bye, South Dakota

We made it out of South Dakota alive, but just barely. We were almost killed last night by a horrible dinner at a place called the Fry'n Pan. Just typing that name makes me realize we should have known better, but it was 10 pm, we were starving, it was a short walk from the motel, and from the outside it looked like a Denny's. Ha! I don't think they'd seen a vegetarian before, and I had to provide education and outreach services about what a stir-fry is supposed to be like (e.g., not microwaved, previously frozen "vegetables"). Likewise, Todd had to try not to die a sugary death from the "french toast" he was served. In the end, we complained and the manager comped us the food. Or should I say "food."

This experience made me really miss the Bay Area, where I could count on lots of good veggie food, and if it wasn't available, I could effectively play the role of the indignant vegetarian ("What?? You don't have any TOFU?!"). It made me homesick for the first time since leaving. I felt so far from anywhere I belonged. And like I don't currently have a place to belong, given that I'm in between homes. And all because of the stupid pseudo-meal.

I feel better now, though. After driving all day from Sioux Falls, SD, through Minnesota, and some of Wisconsin, we are now in Madison, Wisconsin, the state capital. Madison is an oasis: Lots of veggie food, some street performers, and, of course, people selling bongs on the street near the University of Wisconsin. It's like Berkeley or Santa Cruz, but with lakes instead of the ocean or bay. Not that I'm in the market for a bong or anything (although after South Dakota....). It's the liberal atmosphere that I like. It reminds me of home. Although, in Oakland, they wouldn't be selling bongs on the street so much as the actual drugs. And maybe my crazy downstairs neighbor would be the one doing the selling. But still.

Another upside of Madison is where we're staying. We've stayed at our share of Sixes. We've also been branching out to Super 8's (The Eight). But tonight, with Priceline on our side, we are staying at the Madison Concourse Hotel. Fancy-schmancy for $45 a night, which is actually cheaper than a Six or an Eight. Thank you, Priceline, for the gourmet shampoo, soft bed, and fitness center. You don't know what it means to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Sounds lovely. But you're so far!!!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

A bong is a water pipe from which marijuana is smoked.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home