Helga's Big Adventure

From the Bay Area to the Bay State

Monday, July 17, 2006

On the Road

Back in March, I accepted a job in the Boston area. Now, after months of thinking about this cross-country move from Oakland, CA, my husband and I are actually doing it. We are taking 3 weeks to drive and see sights along our northerly route (from Oregon to Massachusetts). Up until this point in my life, I haven't been a particularly adventurous person -- for instance, I've never lived outside of California. Okay, so it is a large state. But I've never lived anywhere that wasn't a fairly short drive from where I had just been. Now, I'm moving to Boston, which is a long drive from Oakland. And we don't even have an apartment yet. As Kjerste will tell you, I like to be prepared, so this is a stretch for me. Think of all the character I'll build!

So far, we've driven through Northern California and into Central Oregon. In Redding, CA, it was 107 degrees, which caused this recent Oakland resident to wilt, sweat buckets and be generally cranky. We saw the Sundial Bridge in Redding, which is a pedestrian bridge over the Sacramento River. And true to its name, part of the bridge is a sundial. It has a very long shadow, which felt really good to stand in with that heat. Today, we went to Crater Lake, which is amazingly blue and was formed about 7,000 years ago after a volcano blew up and then collapsed in on itself. It must have been a mess then, but it's lovely now. It's amazing what 7,000 years will do.


Here's the Sundial Bridge:




And here's the fabulous Crater Lake:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home